To the hands that raises to clean “our” houses; to the whistle that blows every morning to take “our” garbage; to the legs that takes extra miles for “our” commute; to them, to him, to her, to all the innumerable unheard and unseen, are you still looking up to “us” because we hear you, we see you and we are there for YOU!
The novel COVID19 crisis in India have disproportionately hurt different sections of society. But it has evidently hampered the marginalized, daily wage-earning communities and their families worse than ever.
The dominant narrative around the world encourages social distancing, self-quarantine, hand hygiene; cough and spitting etiquettes for the prevention of the pandemic. But the question loudly trumping is individuals whose only way of living was by socially associating, how do they disassociate, how do they isolate themselves at their abode where they don’t have access to clean water, safe sanitation and proper housing, how do they socially distance from the life that brings them closer to the bite of the deadly coronavirus?
We at ToI have been reaching out and connecting to those unheard and unsafe in our ways and strategies. Our COVID19 management lay its focus on the marginalized sections of the society using “children” both as the mediator and as the target for our relief operations, response and rehabilitation mechanism and dissemination of preventive measures using a holistic approach for the well-being of the children, their families and the greater community.
Our children play immense role in ToI’s crisis intervention approach, during this crisis. They have been the intermediary between us and the families in need of their locality and communities. With the help of our children, we have identified the needy areas and are continuing our operation.
Highlights of our Relief Operations:
Till now, we have reached immediate relief support to the slum dwellers of slum pockets in Briji, Khudiram Metro area, Gajipukur, Mahamayapur, Bottola area and nearby slum pockets in Garia locality, Kolkata. Our relief support bag contains a dry ration kit and a prevention pack.
• Mother & Child Pack: For the dry ration kits we have included
Masoor Dal ½kg, Potato 1kg, Soybean, Muri, Sattu, Biscuits; Cooking Oil on case basis.
We have intricately included spices like Jeerey, Dhoney, Turmeric in guidance of Ministry of Ayush. Also a very needed Soap.
• Child Pack: To boost the immunity of the children we give thrust to intake of Golden Milk, which includes a glass of Milk with 1 spoon Turmeric. Intricately included very needed Soap, in the pack. And a pack of Sooji for Healthy Eating.
• Turmeric has some amazing antiseptic, anti-microbial, anti-allergic properties, which help in preventing several diseases.
• Also we included Learning Activity Sheets to keep the children busy and positive in such a crisis situation.
• Reached immediate relief support to the slum dwellers of slum pockets in Briji, Khudiram Metro area, Gajipukur, Mahamayapur Bottola area and nearby slum pockets in Garia locality, Kolkata
Comfort is the word, everyone is looking up to during this bleak time to feel a little less lonely, and maybe even spark a little bit of joy, we at ToI have been in contact with these underprivileged children to make them feel connected and comforted in this time.
We have always believed in the importance of “Value-based Programs” and it is not different, even during this pandemic. Hence to help our children beat the lockdown blues, we have shifted our approach virtually to look after their well-being.
Highlights of our response mechanism:
- Tele-counselling with the children to help them overcome stressful situations and provide motivation.
- Engaging them in effective creative tasks and syllabus-based activities via Conference Call & WhatsApp group to bring out their potential with positivity and also keep them connected with edu0cation.
- Do’s &Don’ts’s of COVID: Disseminating COVID19 awareness and preventive measures. Repeatedly we aware children and their families on social distancing, washing of hands and wearing masks. We also used our social media platform to disseminate the messages of Government of India and following the guidelines of WHO reach out to larger audience and request people not to flow by the fake news.
- Addressing Social Stigma: Following the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India [https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/AddressingSocialStigmaAssociatedwithCOVID19.pdf]
- Coercing them to follow government declared rules and regulations, for the lockdown and prevention of the pandemic.
- Engaging Doctors: We at ToI have also associated doctors in our operations, so that our children can have access to healthcare guidance, without any difficulty.
“Our kids are the main beneficiary of our work”. – Rani Bhowani, Founder of ToI.
During any disaster, communities are not only the first to be affected but also the first responders. We at TREASURES OF INNOCENCE are working for the betterment of our children directing them to help their families and the bigger community, in this crucial time.
Volunteer: To lend your hands for building a stronger community, register yourself as a volunteer.
Donation: To help us reach more families, in this standstill phase of society, please Donate.